Tuesday 25 January 2011

Dance Dance.

I dance films, musicals... anything that combines music/dancing/singing is OK by me.
Unless you've spent the last few weeks under a rock in some far flung corner of the world, you will have heard of Black Swan. Nominated for shedloads of awards, It features Natalie Portman, Winona Ryder & Mila Kunis as ballet dancers in a deeply disturbing adaptation of Swan Lake.
Ok, So the ballet itself isn't disturbing. The events surrounding it are. I'm will try to explain the horrific aspects without giving too much away.
As you may have noticed from previous entries, I don't like dental procedures or anything metallic going into my mouth, so a scene which involved Winona Ryders' character repeatedly stabbing herself in the mouth with a metal nail file had me gagging into my popcorn.
Another fear (HATE) of mine would be FEET. Disgusting things which are only good for bearing my body weight until they blister and ache. In most dance related films they tend to get a fair amount of attention, understandably; although in this film, they go one step too far. Blisters, bleeding toes and cuts on the feet are all part and parcel of a dance film, and especially a ballet film, but what is NOT expected, is the WEBBED toes! There is something quite gruesome about watching a woman pulling apart her webbed toes.
There are also scenes of blood. LOTS of blood. Peeling off skin to reveal blood, stab wounds, bloody feet, bloody fingers... you name it, there will be blood on it.
I was expecting a film about ballet and dark secrets. I actually got scarred for life and potentially a mind full of nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment