Friday 21 January 2011

Dental Dilemmas...

I am a 21 year old who is scared of the dentist.

There, I said it.

Its hard to explain exactly why or how it happened. I haven't always broken out in cold sweats when I've been awaiting an appointment.

When I was much younger I used to love getting sweets from the dentist (which I've since realised was actually their way of ensuring another visit) and even stickers when they switched from less decay-inducing rewards. I've had a VERY sweet tooth, ever since I can remember, and would never turn down chocolate or any calorie rich foods, and eventually my nasty habit came back to bite me in the backside.

When I was 15 I needed a tooth taken out, and to cut a long story short... they needed to give me two sets of injections as the first set didn't work (I HATE needles) and the dentist then managed to take out the wrong tooth, as I was bawling my eyes out!

Since this 'event' I've had about 3 check ups all of which have involved tears, being by restrained dental assistants and panic attacks. Last month I was due three fillings, for which my GP prescribed Diazepam to calm my nerves. I took 4mg more than I was recommended and still managed a bout of hyperventillating, crying, and eventually I refused outright.

Because of this life controlling phobia I now can't eat anything too hot or too cold, drinks need to be taken through a straw, food needs to be soft enough to not need to chew or to be cut up to baby size portions, and cold winds are impossible to talk or eat in. I'm currently waiting for an unconcious appointment to have anything and everything done to me when I have no knowledge of my surroundings.

I'm currently having hypnotherapy to get over this, I will literally give anything a go, as I've even been having nightmares about the dentist. I've got no set date for the 'operation' but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for ways to get over this, Please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, sounds like a nightmare. I think the best piece of advice is to find a really good dentist who can put you at ease. I was on a plane once which got really thrown about, so much so the wings were flexing like one of those wobbly rulers you have at school, anyway it's real sweaty palmed stuff and then the pilot comes on the intercom and in the coolest most relaxed tone you have ever heard said "just a bit of unexpected turbulence, we'll just need you to buckle up for your comfort for a few minutes" Well, maybe makes me sound strange, but the whole chilled out, laid-back tone was reassuring. Maybe it works for dentists too.

    ReplyDelete