Saturday 7 August 2010

Vanessa Carlton speaks the truth.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone

...as she wisely once said. I didn't think she quite had non-drug induced hallucinations in mind, but that would have resulted in a completely different song.

Anyway...the subject of money.
To my annoyance, in my effort to start paying off my overdraft I put a large chunk of my wages into one of the accounts and lowered the limit so I wouldn't be tempted to spend as much, thinking it would be easy enough to expand it if I needed to.

Oh how I was wrong!

As it turned out my next wages were not enough to cover rent and a (rather hefty & unexpected) phone bill. In the hope of getting back some of the money I had paid into the overdraft as I had paid £600 in and only needed £300 out, I went into the bank. They declined my request outright.

Fantastic.

My second overdraft is already at its limit (I can only save so much!) so even asking for an overdraft extension there was a lost cause, but I can at least say I tried.

Just to be rejected again.

The best thing I learned from this? That bank employees are more than willing to tell you to 'go to the bank of mum & dad' when the REAL banks are meant to be in charge of lending money!
I'm not a fan of borrowing from the parents. The only time I've borrowed from them was in my first year, and it was £20 which I repaid the following week. I feel guilty for asking them for money as they provided me with everything I needed during the first 16 years of my life, and I actually hoped that by moving away and being 21, I wouldn't have to rely on them.

It seems that desperate times call for desperate measures and I'm going to have to call 'the bank of mum' for a short term loan tomorrow. I have a feeling I know what the answer will be.

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment